November 6, 2009

Up to the Plate

Tomorrow is the day!

Yes, it is the day that I FULLY unpack my kitchen (Where did I pack the silverware?) and then go grocery shopping for something other than frozen entrees.

I should probably also buy my sweetie a new coffee pot. He's terribly messy with it, and in the middle of the move, I decided I was not cleaning the nasty thing again. I threw it out, out, out. Bummer, bummer, bummer for the guy who has to have coffee in the morning. I don't know what he's been doing, but between Starbucks and 7-Elevens, he has about 50 opportunities to find the magical brew before he arrives at work. Not that I'll allow him to waste money on commercial coffee for much longer...

But while I'm buying a coffee pot...

Did I mention how some of our old stuff looks particularly ratty in our new house? I'm debating whether my dish set needs replaced, too. It's the original set I bought myself when I set up my first home 20 years ago. At that time, I was (thankfully) practical and did not buy anything mauve, cornflower blue, or with little pictures of ducks and geese. At that time I had an obsession with chili peppers, but I did not buy dishes with pictures of jalapenos, either. I purchased a simple, white set of dishes. In 20 years, I have not grown tired of them, either! Good call, young HappyChyck!

Do I still need to be practical? Wouldn't a lovely set of Pfaltzgraff be nifty? How would I ever choose? I could go with the "go-with-anything" zebra print. I always say I live in the "East Side, yo!" so maybe this dishes might be a good idea? A nice freshly thrown taupe pottery would hide whatever my kids don't get cleaned off. But it's brown... The previous owners left behind some of their Lemone dishes, which are kind of like this, but it has me wondering how they ever saw what they were eating? Their forgotten pieces hardly inspire.

Ah, too many big decisions. Maybe I can polish up my old dependable plates and work on cooking up something so good nobody will notice--or care-how old and dingy out plates are looking.

No comments: