November 2, 2009

My Clock

I have what I call a "good body clock." That means that I can usually tell you what time of day it is without looking at a clock. I think it generally works best if I double check myself throughout the day, as I have a good feel for increments in time. "The last time I checked the time, it was noon, and it feels like about two hours have past. It's probably around 2:00p.m."

Mostly, I round to the nearest half hour, but sometimes I can do quarter hours, too. That one even surprises me. Yesterday my sweetie and I were talking about errands we had to run, and I said, "What time is it? It's probably 11:00 a.m. No," I corrected myself, "It's 11:15 a.m." Indeed, the latter time was correct.

Pretty cool trick, huh? It doesn't even require the use of the sun.

As you can imagine, the time changes really mess up my body clock. I can still tell time pretty well, but I have to do a little adding and subtracting. "Hmmm. It feels like 3:00 p.m., but we just had Daylight Saving Time, so I have to 'fall back' an hour. It's really only 2:00 p.m."

I probably should just buy a watch.

But then, on the other hand, it's probably because I don't wear a watch that I have developed this skill.

Can anybody else do this? None of my friends and family can. Nor do they try. It's my own cool weirdness.

No comments: