November 23, 2009

Morning Sights

My commute to work is now a little bit longer, and it's all surface streets instead of freeway. It's not a particularly exciting drive, but in the last week I've see some unusual things.

(Maybe not as unusual as the dead body in the street I saw one morning just a few months after moving to Las Vegas several years ago, though.)

I spotted a coyote standing on a little hill at a golf course a week ago. I wasn't sure what I was seeing at first, so I did a double take to make sure it wasn't a dog. I wasn't even sure what the hill was from until I took notice on the way back home later in the day and realized the hill was part of the banking for a golf course.

(I need to look at a map, but I think there are quite a few golf courses in the area.)

As you can imagine, every morning I now look to see if I can spot the coyote.

Today, just further up the road, I almost ran over some birds in the road. At first I thought they were pigeons, which are disgustingly common around the city, but they weren't. Nope. They were chickens. Chickens in the street. Chickens!

I've seen chickens in some neighborhoods before, but that doesn't mean I expect it. I expect chickens on a farm. I expect chickens on country roads, where the grass is tall, walkin' along the road where the only thing green is probably trash blowing around.

When I came in tonight I told my sweetie about seeing chickens this morning.

He patted me on the head, chuckled, and told me I was seeing things. Perhaps I should drive with my glasses on in the morning?

So much for the enthusiasm for seeing the out-of-the-ordinary. I'm going to keep looking.

No comments: