August 17, 2008

The Return of Sunday Blues

It might be a little early since I still have a week until I meet with the students and two more days until I am under contract, but tonight I have the Sunday Blues. You know, the blue that are followed by Manic Mondays? Those.

I'm pretty sure that a year ago I was wishing I had done a little more planning during the summer, too. I thought about things. I did a conference. I had some inspiration working with some awesome colleagues. Nothing on paper, though. Well, no. There is a notebook with ideas. Crossing my fingers any of it makes sense.

Part of me doesn't want to get too excited planning structures and procedures, which I would like to overhaul a bit. Our school has this "new attitude" with our new school, but I'm not sure what will entail. I'm sure that means we'll be introduced to things we'll need to do during orientation. We always are. Whether those new ideas stick is always an interesting thing to see!

I heard from a reliable source that there is a possibility we won't get keys to our rooms until the day before school starts. Next Sunday! If that's the case, I'll be making sure desks are clean and arranged, and that's about the extent of preparation. I brought my personal books home and a few things I thought I'd need for the summer program I didn't do, but the rest of my classroom materials are boxed up, waiting somewhere in storage. If we don't have clearance to go into our rooms until the day before, it's highly unlikely our boxes will be there until later in the week.

We were led to believe that the opening would be tight and that we should not count on having anything at the start of school--just in case. Well, it looks like we are at that case.

I should be excited to start the year with new traditions and a new awesome school, but right now I have more dread than anything. Change is hard. Change with strife is torture. I'm just holding on.

No comments: