November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving HappyChyck Style

I hope everyone has had a lovely Thanksgiving. I am thankful for my family, friends, and just my life in general. No complaints here. It's as simple as that.

The kids are with their maternal family this weekend, and we had no other plans, so when I woke up this morning, I seriously had no idea what was the plan for the day. In the end, we had a leisurely morning of coffee and news--if you can call it that because it was such a slow day the newscasters were playing [frozen] turkey bowling--and then we drove over the Hoover Dam Bypass. Uhm...not that exciting. It's very pretty to look at, except while one is on it, of course, and what's worse is that the sides are so high that one can see over it to the Colorado River. I suppose it's for the best, but we passengers would appreciate the scenery.

We contemplated driving an hour to Kingman, Arizona for the heck of it, but I wasn't sure what kind of Thanksgiving dinner option we'd have, so we turned around. On the way back into the city we had Holiday Edition of this Typical Dining Out Conversation:

Me: "So where do you want to eat?"
Him: "Wherever."
Me: "No, really. Any ideas?"
Him: "Nope. You decide."
Me: "I. Don't. Know. Why don't you choose?"
Him: "Whatever you want to do, hun."
Me: "Can't you make a choice about dinner for once? Does it even matter to you?"
Him: "Nope."
Long silence.
Me: "Do you want to go to a buffet or a restaurant?"
Him: "Whatever."
More silence.
Me: Well, we could go to Green Valley Ranch for a change. Or maybe Marie Callender's. They'll have a nice dinner. Oh! Claim Jumpers is open for a Thanksgiving Dinner. Any of those sound good?
And then I waited to see where we actually ended up.


In a classic Vegas move, we went to Green Valley Ranch for buffet. We waited in line for about 45 minutes for some terrible turkey. Bummer! It wasn't in the carving station (Fish and prime rib were); instead, it was in strangely uniform slices in a pan of broth. However, some of the sides, like a spaghetti squash dish, pumpkin ravioli, and a Greek salad with cranberries were delightful. My sweetie ate his fill of crab legs and shrimp. Much like a family Thanksgiving dinner, if one dish is found unpalatable, surely there are many other yummy things to eat.

This evening my sweetie and I are hanging out in our warm cozy home. More coffee. Sappy holiday movies on television. Oh! I should "turn on" the fire place. Blissfully, simply peaceful.

If you are relaxing with your computer this holiday weekend, do as I did and go back and read my Thanksgiving stories from 2006. Start here and follow the links after each one. These old stories of mine make me smile. I hope you enjoy them, too!

5 comments:

The Vegas Art Guy said...

We deep fried a turkey this year. Yum. Today we shop. Actually my wife is already shopping.

HappyChyck said...

VAG--Yum indeed on the deep fried turkey! Of course I'm jealous because we won't be eating turkey sandwiches all weekend.

I usually shop on Black Friday, but Christmas is going to be super simple this year for us. Not that I've purchased everything, but I know what I need to get, and I didn't see many sales for those items this morning--none worth fighting crowds for, anyway. I hope you (or should I say, you wife?) find some great deals!

The Vegas Art Guy said...

My wife did get some good deals. We went out later and found more good deals, and got to spend some time away from the kids so it was double bonus.

HappyChyck said...

LOL. So the weekend with the family wearing on your nerves a bit?

Melissa B. said...

We had a more "traditional" TG dinner, but the downside of that is all the leftovers! My eldest has to deal with those, however; I'm home, with an empty fridge and a quiet house...Not looking forward to Monday, though. Are you?