December 12, 2008

The Time Has Come


That one last nerve I have is completely frayed.

Yes, I only have one. I think I have mentioned that before, but I can't find where. Trust me, though. It's true. One. I lost all the others my first three years of teaching.

Here's the teacher dilemma:

Should I put on a happy face and pretend like all loud noises, including whispering, are not going to drive me to drink, or should I warn them upfront that their normal teen behaviors might be the cause of their deaths?

In one way I'm not being true to myself, and the other way I'm just being a biotch if I mention it. It's okay to reveal your feelings as long as they are happy, right?

HappyChyck is not so happy.

I'm feeling a lot of pressure to be a nice, compassionate teacher who does not have inhumane feelings from time to time. Only, that's not how I feel right now. In fact, if you could look inside my head, you might recommend that I not spend any time with impressionable young people.

You might recommend I take a few days off to adjust my attitude before someone gets hurt.

But would you recommend I do it now or wait a mere five more days?

Let's talk differentiation for a minute. Not all learners learn at the same pace. They are all unique.

Teachers are unique, too. Not all teachers can hold out a few more days for a much deserved break.

Makes sense to me.

No comments: