June 23, 2008

A Speck of Leadership

Last week attended the first part of our writing project's advanced institute on leadership. We're in the early stages of a year-long site inquiry because our director will be retiring next June, and it's time for us to look at our organization.

Last week I was so deeply engaged in deep thoughts about leadership that I was unable to even blog about it. It doesn't make any sense. I know. Just so much rattling around in my brain.

This week I have four more days of deep, brain-hurting thinking. I'll try better to form coherent thoughts. I am thinking a lot about who I am as a leader. Along with all the inquiry work we are doing, we have been doing a bit of personal writing, and the topics all revolve around courage and leadership. By the end of this week I'll need a piece of personal writing completed. (This is cake compared to the initial institute experience.)

I'm struggling to write on a personal level here. On a creative level. On a engaging level. Not feeling the passion.

Here are the ideas that reflective writing has forced me to recognize:
  • I'm a reluctant leader.
  • I'm not one who takes the ball and runs with it, as I like to have a game plan first.
  • I have less courage now than I did earlier in my career.
Sad, but true.

No comments: