June 16, 2008

A Picture of My del.icio.us Friend--or Alter Ego

Wordle is exactly the kind of worthless entertainment I have plenty of time for this summer. There is a lot of worthless stuff out there, of course, but I still enjoy surfing Internet--or what I call Stumbling now. I stumble around. Something sparks my interest. I google for more information (there are other search engines I enjoy but none of them make handy-dandy toolbars for Firefox), and then I bookmark it in my del.icio.us account.

I could not live without my del.icio.us account. I know there are better bookmarking tools than del.icio.us, such as Diigo, but I'm the kind of person who finds herself running to catch the bandwagon after it's left the stop! (I can also save my favs in StumbleUpon, but I don't.)

The picture of my del.icio.us makes me think about a couple of things. First, I know I need to do a little cleaning. My account is simply unruly because I save everything I think I might need. The digital teacher packrat. Nice. By looking at my tags, I can see that there are things that I don't really need anymore and others need better, more specific tags. "Education" is quite broad. Could I find what I'm looking for through the 129 links? Yes, and no. Those 129 sites I have are definitely useful to me in some way--better than 129 listings from a search engine query. And what exactly do I mean with that tag? It's rather broad!

Ew. Cleaning. I'll save that for a day when I'm really bored. The more interesting thought I have about my del.icio.us account is what it says about me as a person. If a del.icio.us anthropologist came along, what might he say about me as a person? Does it paint a good picture of me? Is it an accurate picture?

Did you go look? If you look at the recent bookmarks on the left side, you've probably established one perception--or five. But when you look all of the bookmarks on the right, is the picture different, or simply more in-depth?

I have a couple of online identities because for some reason I don't want some people to know my real name. But what's in a name? I expose myself more with my words and TAGS!

No comments: