September 17, 2007

Stepping In It

Did I really tell my supervisor that I would do a two-hour writing workshop? Traits. Passing state exam. How to encourage inspired writers while training them to take the test. Stuff like that. Bit by bit I reveal ways I'm capable of being useful at my school, but why? I could be flying under the radar right now.

It's been a while, but I have done PD workshops before. Two hours is nothing. On writing? I actually know something about that. My only problem is focusing all the random bits in my brain into something that sounds intelligent.

I sat in a one-hour Renaissance (Accelerated Reader) workshop today. I saw how my colleagues acted toward the end of that mere hour. Tired, restless. (But then, most of us in the room have been to Renaissance conferences and didn't learn anything we didn't already know today.)

The best I can hope for is that the people who attend my workshop don't know enough about it to be bored. Come on, though! Writing is exciting! We're going to have fun! Or at least I will.

And if not, next time I'll keep my big mouth shut about alternative solutions when we can't get outside trainers to come in.

No comments: