March 1, 2007

Digging My Way Out

I've been going through one of those periods of time where I have a gazillion things to do, and sleep or breathing isn't one of them. How is that different than normal, right? I've been through these phase so many times...you'd think I'd be less grumpy as I go through them. (I was in a crazy busy two-month block when I met my husband. I actually told him I didn't have time for him. At least he knew what he was getting into.)

This crisis in time can be contributed to the fact that I took two online classes. I finished up this week, and did a great job, but it has sucked every ounce of time. I've been days behind in grading papers, and frankly, I haven't been having much fun. I've been kind of neglectful of my family, too. Uhm, yea. Their dad had to make dinner the other night as I rushed to finish my paper. Very scary.

Yearbook is weighing me down to the max right now. I'm behind and in over my head. It's largely my fault, but then I am dealing middle schoolers, and their ideas and my ideas don't always mix. Not to mention they are developing skills...uhm...yea. Thank goodness for digital photography now or we'd be broke paying for all bad pictures they take. Honestly, putting together a good yearbook takes creativity, talent, and motivation. Some years I have it and some I don't. Sounds like a personal problem, doesn't it? I mean my staff, of course, but sometimes I can't even think of how to grow those traits in them. This year I have very creative kids, but only half are motivated, and then only half of those have any talent. Actually, it's a good staff year, come to think of it.

Here's the funny thing: my yearbook rep left a voice message asking me to give her a call because she knows of a high school in need of a yearbook advisor. A few days ago she was e-mailing me because I'm behind on deadline. In a friendly way, though. Just asking if I need help, which I don't unless she can stretch the day a few hours. All I can say is if she thought of me, all of us yearbook advisors must be hanging by a camera strap most of the time! I'm catching up, though. My supervisor approved 30 pages today so I can send them in and then are we are rockin' and rollin'!

And speaking of rock and roll, I have a continuous stream of company in the next few weeks. Can't complain about that, but you know I'm never going to get any papers graded--and I'm collecting research papers tomorrow.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

No comments: