March 24, 2009

It Hurts You More

Have you see this test going around lately?

Train Horns

Created by Train Horns



Mrs. T is testing it out today, and it made me think of my silly students and how I like to torture them with this sound.

Or they torture themselves.

Last year around this time, a few of my middle schoolers loaded that sound on their laptops. Try it out in a classroom sometime. It's difficult to tell the source. Anyway, someone would bring it in, and it would cause a classroom disturbance. Yes, I can hear it, but I can tolerate it for a little while before it gives me a headache. (My student teacher at the time was in complete torture but had to act like it was no big deal.) I'd laugh and joke, "Ha, ha! Nice joke. Whoever it is, now turn it off." The jokester would, but for a few days, we had a lot of disturbances because of "the noise."

It happened mostly in the class after lunch, so before I left for lunch one day, I loaded it on a computer to play on a loop. When they came in, they had a hard time finding it because it wasn't one of them. After that, I never had any problems. Students hate to have their cool tricks used against them.

Last night, someone in my high school class had that sound. (This time I know which one it was.) At first, the students were trying to mess with me, to see if I could hear it. If I can't hear it, then they are doing something secret that the teacher doesn't know about. How they love to make me look the fool! If I can hear it, then it must irritate me, and that will get me stirred up. Oh how they try to get me stirred up!

I had such a good time last night with that irritating sound filling the room!

"Oh, yes, I can hear it, but I can handle it."

The kids were all wincing.

I laughed and laughed and laughed at them: "This is the funniest thing I've seen in the longest time! You are all suffering so much, yet nobody will shut it off! Wow! What are you going to do? I can't believe the lengths you'll go to just to bug me! That's kind of loud. Your ears must be nearly bleeding now."

So much fun! Usually we only laugh at them behind their backs, but when they are being so silly, it's hard not to laugh.

Here's another thing about teens: they don't like it when you laugh at them when they think they are getting one on the teacher.

No comments: