March 20, 2009

Why Do They Do That? #456,392

I gave a vocabulary quiz today where the students had to fill in the correct answers with the vocabulary words. There were definitions needing words, synonyms, antonyms, and fill-in-the-blank sentences. I gave them the word bank.

Essentially, it's multiple choice, right?

Why did I have students turn in papers with blank answers? One student had 20 blank answers out of the 45 problems. Seriously? Guess who didn't study?

"Uhm. I don't think so. Try again." I hand the paper back.

"But, Miss! I don't know the answers!"

Sigh. "How I appreciate your honesty! But on a test like this, you need to work the system. Process of elimination? Or maybe guess! I can't believe I'm telling you this...but seriously! Don't leave blank answers when your choices are all there! And study next time!"

One of my brainaics came up later and said, "You know, Miss, if you know the all the definitions on the first part (20 of them), then the rest of the test is really easy."

"Yup."

No comments: