April 5, 2009

Going Nowhere

"What are you doing for spring break?"

"Nothing."

Blissfully nothing! Sadly nothing... Nothing.

My sweetie says, "Just get in the car and go somewhere."

I used to be so independent that I'd just take off and leave without him. But it's not like how I go to movies alone. I don't feel like going anywhere alone. Besides, my car left me stranded on the freeway last week, and although it's fixed, I don't fully trust it yet. It has to prove itself again.

I know my sweetie has vacation time that he could take. "Why don't you take a few days off and we'll go somewhere together." The kids are with their maternal family. It's just us. Let's escape.

"I could. Where do you want to go?"

"I don't know," I tell him. "Let's just get in the car and drive somewhere."

"Where?"

"It doesn't matter. Just pick a direction. Get in the car. Go. Just go."

"Okay, but where?"

Sigh. He doesn't get it.

Maybe he has a point. It might be nice to have a destination so we are sure that there is something to do--or a place to stay.

But does it matter? Let's cross a border. Find ourselves in Arizona just because Arizona is awesome. The California border is less than an hour away. Let's cross it and drive until we hit water. Water! That's always good.

My sweetie's never had much spontaneity, but I did...once upon a time. Where did it go?

No comments: