February 23, 2009

Iffy

I can't remember how I arrived there, but sometime over the weekend, I ended up at RateMyTeacher. I've been there a few times over the years, and while I'm there, I always check to see what evil things have been said, but I don't have very many comments. Not exactly Miss Popularity on my team. I'm not that cool. The ones I have are favorable, but the I found one posted this month states, "Sometimes she's iffy."

There was still a smiley face, and a decent rating, but what does "iffy" mean to a middle schooler?

I don't know, but it might be a fair assessment.

I'm not trying to be an iffy teacher, but early this year, I conceded that this may not be my best year in the classroom. Teacher, student, wife, mother. Something has to give. I'm coasting this year. I'd like to think that my coasting is still pretty good.

Most days, it's pretty good.

I didn't go get bed until 1:30 am last night because I was working yearbook crap. Even without yearbook stuff, it's common for me to not sleep much--it's been going on since school started. The first few hours of the day were okay, but then I started feeling so lethargic that I swear I might have been shuffling across the room like some old lady on valium.

And then I remember the "iffy" comment.

So, I was shuffling around the classroom mumbling, "Iffy. Iffy. Which one of these kids would actually say something like that? Iffy. I feel iffy. Is that a real word? Like something an old man would say. Which one of them said it?"

Not so much iffy anymore. Eccentric, crazy English teacher is more like it! And I didn't think that would come for another 5 years.

It's only Monday--and the week before the Big State Test. I should try to get more sleep.

Iffy? That's no way to be.

No comments: