May 11, 2008

What I Will Do During My Summer Vacation

Vegas Teacher Guy thinks I'll be relaxing all summer while he's getting a real job and going to school. (I wonder what a real job is for him? Real dull? Real easy?) The truth is that I have a fun job for June that I haven't even mentioned.

Summer School!

Oh yes, teaching English to middle schoolers, who happen to read and write at a 4th grade level, and are going to school because they are deficient in their credits is a BLAST! Wahoo! I love teaching in June! (Is it just me, or don't most teacher do summer school for the cash?)

Okay, that's the job I did have lined up a few weeks ago, but I quit it for a better job that fell into my lap.

I'm conducting a young writer's institute for students whose parents are dropping a grand for them to write and have some fun for a month--no academic credit will even be given! Can you believe it? I didn't even go looking for this job. Seriously just fell into my lap! And apparently, there is a 12-student cap! (It pays a lot better, too.)

I'm excited but super nervous. I've never done anything like this before. Teach writing for the joy of it? I'm trying to come up with a focus or a theme, so I'm thinking something along the lines of PERSPECTIVES. We can start by writing from within and moving toward some strong voice-based activities where the young writers look at the world in different ways--lenses even.

All the teachers in around me in our hallway are leaving the country for summer break. Compared to them, my summer, well, blows! That's just not where I am in life (young, carefree) so I'll garner my renewable energy from some young enthusiastic writers!

No comments: