August 19, 2006

Uh Oh! Bad Attitude on the Rise

I finally went to my classroom Thursday to start getting my room ready, but I was only able to spend a few hours. I officially report to work on Wednesday and the students will come the Wednesday after that. It seems like I have plenty of time, but I really don't. Once we report to work, it's likely we'll have little time to work in our classrooms. I'll be doing the Tazmanian Devil dance around my room getting things ready Monday and Tuesday.

As soon I walked into the building, I just had a sour attitude. Uh oh! Snap out of it! I'd rather be a team cheerleader than a team witch, but it looks like I'm going to have to work for it.

My classroom was in pretty good shape, and it was dust and mouse poo free. (Classrooms near me had some issues at the end of the year.) I wiped things down with Clorox wipes anyway.

I had time to put up some bright bulletin background. I'm starting with cheap plastic tablecloths, and with the colors I'd chosen I wondered if it was looking too Barbie-ish. (Plastic makes it easy to tape things up.) Once I start filling up the boards in with info and student work, it probably won't seem so blinding. I used to enjoy making my room look inviting, but this year I'm wondering if it seems so trite spending time on how my room looks when I could spend more time on curriculum.

Is that bad attitude or just stark reality?

Luckily, I had a lunch date with an old friend who was passing through town, so I removed my bad-attitude butt from campus.

No comments: