May 2, 2008

A Meme Break: Scandal and Friday Chaos

I've been tagged by Mister Teacher and Mrs.T. I guess inquiring minds want to know!

Here are the rules:

1. The rules of the game get posted at the beginning.
2. Each player answers the questions about themselves.
3. At the end of the post, the player then tags 5-6 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they've been tagged and asking them to read your blog.
4. Let the person who tagged you know when you've posted your answer.

Got it? Let's rock this thing.

1) What was I doing 10 years ago? Oy! Do you people think I keep a diary or something? I thought I might look in a yearbook from 10 years ago to get some clues. I can only guess that 10 years ago I might have been chaperoning prom, spending the weekend working on sets for an upcoming play, stressing about the dang yearbook, or slogging through some other simply riveting work-related action. I probably didn't have a social life, as it was in the early years of my career.

The dirty truth is that around this time 10 years ago I had dreams that my husband was going to die. The power of the subconscious mind! Our four-year marriage was on its last leg as he went back to Utah to find work, with hopes of convincing me to move back there, too. I would have been happy for him, but I never planned to move back.

His mother discovered a brain tumor and died within a month, and as it turns out, he never came back to Nevada except for the quick trip in August to move his stuff. I know Mrs. T would love to hear the tale of a woman who could leave her husband as he's mourning the sudden death of his mother. That wasn't the last time I kicked a man when he was down, but it was probably the worst! I'm not proud. It was just one of those things that had to happen for my survival. It would have been less brutal had he not been the very last person in the world to finally realize that our marriage was over.


2) What are 5 things on my to-do list for today (not in any particular order):
Since it's evening, I'll tell things I did today. It was a rough day because I was at the Magnet Schools conference all week and came back just in time to have to show up for Friday.

1. I conducted my own classes for the first time in 2 months. (Can I just say that it was brutal after being out of the building for so many days?)

2. I covered another class during my 1st hour prep--it is Friday, after all! I had my choice among four classes, and I chose the Spanish class because I know the students in there. I immediately texted the teacher with a nasty message because we both did 6 hours of flying from Tennessee yesterday afternoon, yet I came to work today.

3. I did not finish reading and responding to all my e-mail, but I did try! Actually, I need to take notes on several e-mails that went to the whole staff on information I missed like the fact we're having an attendance audit in a few weeks and the proper procedure on packing for the big move.

4. I spent two hours giving disrespectful students the stink eye at the poetry slam this afternoon. The acoustics are so awful and our sound system is barely functional, so any talking in the audience is not only disrespectful, but just plain ANNOYING. The slam was a huge success, though! Boy do we have some passionate poets!

5. I learned how to spin cotton candy today after I was coerced into helping the student council adviser with some last minute preparations for our school carnival tomorrow. I commented to the students how exciting it was that I was learning something new! The man who owns the machine said I could come work for him, but I think he was just being a sweet old man! (If you don't know, making cotton candy is a messy job! My arms were just covered in pink fur!)


3) Snacks I enjoy: Cheetos, apples, and chocolate.


4) Things I would do if I were a billionaire:
I would travel, shop, and live the general life of luxury. After that became boring, I would become a philanthropist to make myself feel more useful.


5) Three of my bad habits: Aw! I want to remain perfect in everyone's eyes! I suppose that's hard after reading my trip down memory lane above, huh? Who am I kidding? I'm so chock full o' flaws! Okay, then...

1. I bite and pick my nails.

2. My toenails, too--not bite them. Just pick. So, sandal season sucks for me, but I just had a pedicure and they look nice, so I'm trying to find a new nervous habit.

3. I fall asleep on the couch while watching television too many nights a week.



6) 5 places I have lived:

1. Las Vegas, NV
2. Hawthorne, NV
3. Vernal, UT
4. Lewiston, ID
5. Orofino, ID



7) 5 jobs I have had:

1. Secondary English teacher (of course)
2. bookseller at an independent bookstore
3. assistant manager at Burger King
4. oilfield laborer
5. counter help at a donut shop


8) 6 peeps I wanna know more about:

1. Laura, who has been working hard all spring.
2. My hometown homie, The Vegas Art Guy
3. Ms. Cupcake, who comes around a lot and appears to be up for a fun meme from time to time
4. Have you met A Strange New Teacher? I'd like to know more!
5. OKP @ Line 46, who has sharp wit
6. YOU, if you haven't already!

No comments: