June 24, 2006

Walking in the Parents' Shoes is Tight

It's my job to worry in the family. I'm pretty good at it. This week I'm worried about the educational well-being of my step children. It's not the first time, but I don't usually have much control over their education. It's not really my job and they live in a different state. And now that might change.

The kids might come live with us on a permanent basis, and now I'm not so sure about the neighborhood where we live. The elementary school we are zoned for is in the second year of not meeting AYP, the school reports that 45% of its student are LEP (limited English proficient), and last year it was a Title 1 school.

If you're a dedicated teacher, you might go running toward a school like that, but as a parent would you do the same?

No comments: