May 31, 2006

Happy Shiny Thoughts

Seven more days until vacation! Three of the days are exam days, which are minimum days for the students. Still a lot of work for me. I have a 18-point check list from admin. of things to do before I can leave next Friday. But this is a happy post. We are almost there.

I've knocked off most of the things on the list that was jumbling up my brain. In reviewing the list, I remembered I need to check up on that lack of payment issue. I did, actually, but I haven't hear anything. How could I forget to check on money that should be in my pocket? Maybe now that my brain isn't so jumbled...

The yearbook signing party was yesterday. Overall, the yearbook turned out super cool (first year in full color!) and the party went off without a hitch. I've gotten a lot of compliments about the book and how the smoothly the event went. That's good. I don't think the administration nor many of the students had much faith in me when I took over the yearbook this year. All I can say is, we had some rocky roads this year and they are damn lucky they had me. I'm patting myself on the back. Pshaw! These people don't know my past. My past is full of yearbook strife, so full that when I left my last position, I said I'd never do it again.

BTW, I've got to stop saying I'm NEVER going to do something. That's a surefire way to end up doing it. Next thing you know I'm going to be living in California, working at a fast food restaurant to support my six kids. Help!

Last week I had a potentially bad experience with a parent. It never reached me, which is often the case, but I was consulted and gave my input. Or something like that. Today the coordinator who was orginally contacted told me she'd talked to the upset parent again, and everything is okay. (We appreciate him bringing this matter to attention. We're working together, here! Wish that could happen more.) She also passed on a compliment that I was the student's favorite teacher, which seems pretty bland, but the student is a tough one to get to know. For his parents to acknowledge it and pass it on, especially when I was at the top of their shit list last week, is major. I recognized the student's awesome personality in the first week of school, but he keeps it pretty buried. I've kept trying to draw him out all year, and mostly he doesn't let me. It's like this secret between us that he is a much cooler kid that he lets people know. You know, he's been one of my favorites of all time, so I am glad to know the feeling is mutual.

Seems like I should have some more happy thoughts.

Oh! I found $.06 today! Puttin' that in my new car fund.

No comments: