October 30, 2008

Seeing My Peeps

Wahoo! The long-waited girls' weekend in Reno is finally here. Or it will be tomorrow. I still have to teach my classes tonight and do laundry, so I'm not exactly sure why I'm celebrating already. I suppose because it's close enough, and whatever torture my night school students have in store for me just does not matter. I'm leaaaaaaaaaaaaaving on a jet plane tomorrow morning.

Once upon a time between marriages, which I like to call The Days When I Was Single, there were a lot of girls' weekends. Sure, I dated on and off during those times, but I always had my super cool, fun friends--my sisters in a hard place to teach where none of us had family nearby. And we spent an awful lot of time drinking and shooting pool. Sounds kind of low-brow, I know. I miss it though. I miss Thursday night pool practice, Friday-night's-let's-meet-after-the-football-game-'cuz-I need-a-drink-to-take-the-edge-off-the-week, and Saturday's all-afternoon-pool-league competitions at the American Legion Hall.

Boy those were the wild days. Okay, not really. American Legion? Come on people! We hung out with an older crowd, but it was sure fun. My girlfriends and I have all moved on from that small town where we once worked together and where the best entertainment was shooting pool with old veterans and their wives. I know in some ways we are glad we're gone, but there's that part of us that misses that slower pace of life.

We're meeting up in Reno tomorrow, which we used to consider the Big City. Already we're wondering what we'll do for fun. It's too bad we can't all meet back in our old stomping grounds, but something tells me it wouldn't be the same anyway. In fact, I think it might be a little depressing, as some of our old friends have moved or passed away.

It doesn't matter what we do. We know that from years of just hanging out.

And I'm ready for a weekend of just hanging out with people who know me.

And if there's drink, that's okay, too.

No comments: