March 27, 2008

What Happens When Rewarding Students With Treats Isn't Allowed

My daughter's school is having a reward party for students who have passed their Math Facts in a Flash to a certain level. (I think it's some sort of mastery program they all use.)

They are having a...Puppy and Popcorn/Movie Party!

I think that I've heard of puppy or pet parties before. It's kind of a cool idea to bring animals and kids together. What a creative alternative to your basic reward party!

A movie and popcorn party is what I consider to be a basic reward party. When it comes to snacks, I think popcorn is one of the few affordable and acceptable foods we can give to students. Movie and popcorn is a classic hit with students of all ages.

But popcorn and puppies? You know this idea makes my skin crawl a little. Refer to my OCD story for a snapshot of my issues. I'd like to think that I'm not as bad as I used to be, but there are certain things...

When my daughter brought the permission slip home, there was a option for students to not participate in part of the party. It was all I could do not to write, "She may play with puppies, but please have her wash before eating popcorn." I didn't want to seem too nutty. And there is a very large part of me who wants to believe that washing after playing with animals and before eating food--especially finger food--is an obvious concept.

Or...maybe I should be more concerned for the poor puppies if the popcorn comes first...Do you think they'll wash after eating and before petting?

All I know is that I don't really want to know.

No comments: