November 15, 2006

The Good and the Bad

While I was monitoring the hallway during passing time, one of my students came up and stood next to me.

I yelled at some kids displaying some PDA right in front of my room, and she yelled at them, too.

I turned to her, "Do you want to take over?"

"No," she said sheepishly.

"Are you sure you don't want to try? Do you want to be the teacher?" My tone was playful, and the girl realized I wasn't reprimanding her.

She asked me, "What's the best part of being a teacher?"

"You know, I really like being with you guys all day. I know sometimes you might think I don't like you, but I truly do enjoy working with you crazy teenagers. It's a blast!"

It was a kind of epiphany for both of us. She saw the human side. I felt free of frustration and realized that I am truly entertained by the students I have this year. Sure, their chattiness gives me headaches by the end of the day, and I'm disappointed by their lack of performance on daily assignments, but they are really cool kids--interesting personalities. Good hearts.

The girl then asked, "What is the worst part?"

Thinking about the paperwork I had been working on all day--administrative stuff, not paper grading--I told her, " Ohhhhh! It's the paperwork! So much! I need a secretary!"

Thinking I'm talking about grading papers, she rolled her eyes and says, "Miss! That's the worst part of being a student, too!"

No comments: