January 3, 2008

Getting a Life

I have not been thinking about school during my break.

That's incredible progress for me.

There's always been that needling voice in the back of my head about things I needed to prepare for my classroom, both short term and long term. Even if I am not sitting down and planning on paper, I'm always thinking, reflecting, and planning in my mind.

I don't know if it's the fact that I've been teaching for so long, or the fact that I have a family to absorb all my extra time and energy, but I simply do not spend as much time thinking about teaching when I am out of my classroom. Oh, yes, sometimes I regret not being 110% prepared for my students, and I run out of hours in the day to finish work, so I have to put in some painful hours.

Sometimes I feel a little guilt because I am no longer living the lifestyle of an obsessed teacher who is making a difference with her students--the kind of dramatic differences people write books about. Like the average teacher, my impact on students is more subtle.

Mostly, though, I don't feel guilt. I feel joy. And peace.

No comments: