July 31, 2007

My Leftovers Are Safe with Tupperware

Ms. Whatsit is hosting her second Teacher Potluck, and since I was duped into organizing monthly teacher potlucks at my school a few years ago, I know how tough it can be.

Can you believe that most of the teachers believed that it was also my job to make sure their food was warmed up at a certain time? As if I wasn't in my own classroom teaching! Yo! Have you ever heard of a crock pot or do you have any concept of what potluck friendly foods might be?

Anyway, I don't have any recipes to share, but maybe someday when I'm more in the mood, I'll give you my ideas of what constitutes good teacher potluck food. But for today, I'd like to share with you the greatest invention ever for my daily lunches. As nice as the lunch ladies are, and they try extra hard to make special food for the teachers, I never eat school lunch. If the price is right, I stock up on frozen dinners or burritos, but mostly I pack my own lunch. More specifically, I eat the previous night's leftovers for lunch. I don't know about you, but as wonderful as leftovers are, finding transportable (tight-sealing), microwavable containers is a big pain in the patooty.

If I didn't have my trusty Tupperware CrystalWave Soup Mug, I could not live bring my leftovers with much ease. Now, I do know that bowl costs about $10. I acquired mine before I was a teacher when I won some sort of Tupperware party game for being the most pathetic unmarried woman without children. Little did I know that it would be the coolest pity prize ever. Now, dear readers, if you have been paying attention, you know that I have been teaching for 10 years now. I use my bowl about 3 times a week. A few years ago I bit the bullet and bought another bowl because it's certainly nice to have a backup, isn't it? Do you have any bowls that you've used so frequently for 10 years? Please let me know if you do.

What's so great about this CrystalWave Soup Mug?
  • It has a tight seal that will not pop off and spill. I have thrown it in my tote bag without fears of it spilling over some important essays.
  • When you heat your food, you simply pop the little vent cap. Just a little whole for air. No spills and no explosions. Do you really want to be that teacher who makes a mess in the faculty microwave?
  • There is a fill line on the inside of the bowl so you don't overfill and risk being that teacher.
  • It's meant to be used in the microwave. Despite the fact that microwaves have been commonplace for over 20 years, there seem to be few plastic bowls that are truly microwavable.
  • It has a handle, which prevents you from dropping your food because it's too hot. That would suck!
  • It's a nice serving size, but still small, so it fits into a lunch bag or your tote bag.
(Tupperware has a line of microwavable dishes with a harder plastic called Rock 'N Serve, but in my experience the lids do not fit as well, plus my Rock 'N Serve mug actually cracked after a year. Things may have changed since I last bought Tupperware a few years back, but I wouldn't risk it.)

Okay, so there's HappyChyck's teacher lunch advice. Find your nearest Tupperware lady, or order online, and get yourself a handy dandy container so you can take your yummy dinner leftovers for lunch. Lunch is the most important meal of the day for teachers, isn't it?

No comments: