April 23, 2006

Books by Women Writers Meme

As I was stumbling around the Blogosphere, I found this fun meme at A Sort of Notebook, and thought I'd give it a try.

Just BOLD those you’ve read, ITALICIZE the ones you’ve been meaning to read and ??? the ones you have never heard of. (And you know I have to make other comments.)

Alcott, Louisa May–Little Women
Allende, Isabel–The House of Spirits
Angelou, Maya–I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Atwood, Margaret–Cat’s Eye (I've read others by her)
Austen, Jane–Emma
Bambara, Toni Cade–Salt Eaters
Barnes, Djuna–Nightwood ??
de Beauvoir, Simone–The Second Sex
Blume, Judy–Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret. (My fav author when I was a preteen)
Burnett, Frances–The Secret Garden
Bronte, Charlotte–Jane Eyre
Bronte, Emily–Wuthering Heights
Buck, Pearl S.–The Good Earth

Byatt, A.S.–Possession
Cather, Willa–My Antonia (I love her!)
Christie, Agatha–Murder on the Orient Express
Cisneros, Sandra–The House on Mango Street
Clinton, Hillary Rodham–Living History
Cooper, Anna Julia–A Voice From the South ??
Danticat, Edwidge–Breath, Eyes, Memory (wish she'd write more)
Davis, Angela–Women, Culture, and Politics
Desai, Anita–Clear Light of Day
Dickinson, Emily–Collected Poems (Since I've read a lot of her poems and consider her one of my favorites, I'm marking this one!)
Duncan, Lois–I Know What You Did Last Summer (A fav author as a teen. Sadly this is the only book where thought the movie was better.)
DuMaurier, Daphne–Rebecca
Eliot, George–Middlemarch
Emecheta, Buchi–Second Class Citizen ??
Erdrich, Louise–Tracks
Esquivel, Laura–Like Water for Chocolate (more than once, too)
Flagg, Fannie–Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café
Friedan, Betty–The Feminine Mystique (I've read at it)
Frank, Anne–Diary of a Young Girl
Gilman, Charlotte Perkins–The Yellow Wallpaper
Gordimer, Nadine–July’s People ??
Grafton, Sue–S is for Silence
Hamilton, Edith–Mythology
Highsmith, Patricia–The Talented Mr. Ripley
Hooks, Bell–Bone Black ??
Hurston, Zora Neale–Dust Tracks on the Road (Read others by her.)
Jacobs, Harriet–Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl ??
Jackson, Helen Hunt–Ramona
Jackson, Shirley–The Haunting of Hill House (Read short stories by her)
Jong, Erica–Fear of Flying
Keene, Carolyn–The Nancy Drew Mysteries (My mom turned me on to this when I was a kid!)
Kidd, Sue Monk–The Secret Life of Bees
Kincaid, Jamaica–Lucy ??
Kingsolver, Barbara–The Poisonwood Bible (I LOVE this author and told sssoooooo many people to read her when she was first published, but this book does not appeal to me. I know if I could just get started...)
Kingston, Maxine Hong–The Woman Warrior
Larsen, Nella–Passing ??
L’Engle, Madeleine–A Wrinkle in Time
Le Guin, Ursula K.–The Left Hand of Darkness
Lee, Harper–To Kill a Mockingbird
Lessing, Doris–The Golden Notebook
Lively, Penelope–Moon Tiger ??
Lorde, Audre–The Cancer Journals ??
Martin, Ann M.–The Babysitters Club Series (I'd rather not, thanks. Ten years ago it kept some young girls hooked on reading, though.)
McCullers, Carson–The Member of the Wedding
McMillan, Terry–Disappearing Acts
Markandaya, Kamala–Nectar in a Sieve
Marshall, Paule–Brown Girl, Brownstones ??
Mitchell, Margaret–Gone with the Wind
Montgomery, Lucy–Anne of Green Gables
Morgan, Joan–When Chickenheads Come Home to Roost ??
Morrison, Toni–Song of Solomon
Murasaki, Lady Shikibu–The Tale of Genji
Munro, Alice–Lives of Girls and Women
Murdoch, Iris–Severed Head ??
Naylor, Gloria–Mama Day ??
Niffenegger, Audrey–The Time Traveller’s Wife ??
Oates, Joyce Carol–We Were the Mulvaneys (Read others by her.)
O’Connor, Flannery–A Good Man is Hard to Find
Piercy, Marge–Woman on the Edge of Time ??
Picoult, Jodi–My Sister’s Keeper
Plath, Sylvia–The Bell Jar
Porter, Katharine Anne–Ship of Fools
Proulx, E. Annie–The Shipping News
Rand, Ayn–The Fountainhead
(Actually listened to it on a long road trip two summers ago. I wondered why I waited for so long.)
Ray, Rachel–365: No Repeats (A cookbook? I love Rachel Ray, but why not Mollie Katzen then?)
Rhys, Jean–Wide Sargasso Sea
Robinson, Marilynne–Housekeeping ??
Rocha, Sharon–For Laci ??
Sebold, Alice–The Lovely Bones (I've picked this up so many times...would it be good?)
Shelley, Mary–Frankenstein
Smith, Betty–A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Smith, Zadie–White Teeth
Spark, Muriel–The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie ??
Spyri, Johanna–Heidi
Strout, Elizabeth–Amy and Isabelle ??
Steel, Danielle–The House
Tan, Amy–The Joy Luck Club
Tannen, Deborah–You’re Wearing That (Read some of her others on communication. She rocks!)
Ulrich, Laurel–A Midwife’s Tale ??
Urquhart, Jane–Away ??
Walker, Alice–The Temple of My Familiar (Read others by her.)
Welty, Eudora–One Writer’s Beginnings ??
Wharton, Edith–Age of Innocence (Loved her as a teen.)
Wilder, Laura Ingalls–Little House in the Big Woods (Loved this when I was a little girl.)
Wollstonecraft, Mary–A Vindication of the Rights of Women
Woolf, Virginia–A Room of One’s Own


Perhaps the ??'s are the beginnings of a summer reading list?

Read more about the reader in me here.

No comments: