May 3, 2011

Celebrating People Like Me

It's finally here! National Teacher Day, the day where the students celebrate their teachers by lavishing them with gifts that cannot be construed as bribes.

Oddly enough, it is one of the few holidays in our country that doesn't encourage people to purchase massive amounts of junk food or expensive greeting cards.

The only best gift I received from a student was a jar of homemade plum syrup. From a student--not a student organization or administrator. Homemade. Witty. Sweet. It's the simple things in life...

(Okay, I'll be honest. The student who brought the jam has been bringing sweet little teacher gifts all week. She's not a brown-noser or anything. She--along with her mother who is an elementary teacher--is just very thoughtful.)

Too bad that the everyone does not get behind lavishing teachers with gifts. Bring on those apples, but please keep in mind that teachers are truly powered by chocolate. I don't care that over the 15 years I've taught I've accumulated 2 teacher coffee mugs, I could always use more; there are seven days in a week, you know! And it is here that I have to admit my personal shame in my lack of teacher-related pencil and ruler-shaped jewelry. By the way, I like rubies are my birthstone, but anything shiny enchants me.

Oh, but in all honesty, I really do appreciate the simple things in life. My students could get a little creative in their gift-giving. Perhaps they could follow all of the rules without acting like they hadn't learned about classroom procedures 9 months ago. Maybe they could turn in all of their homework assignments done to perfection. How thrilled I would be if they listen to me with rapt attention as if they truly believed I am the smartest person they know. Now, that would be a great gift to the average secondary teacher!

1 comment:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Rapt attention? Do you ever get that from a student?